Gunpowder Park Sep 21

A place to discuss all things CX
Astrid Wingler
summary email: yes

Re: Gunpowder Park Sep 21

Post by Astrid Wingler » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:37 pm

Richard - I hope you got home OK and didn't suffer anything more serious than a puncture! We waited for you for a while, but then all had to get home.

Steve Hanks
Mobile phone: 07421002430

Post by Steve Hanks » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:39 pm

I enjoyed that a lot, then I found out it might cost me a few hundred quid. On one 29er for sale.... :D

StevenDrew
Mobile phone: 07809296084
summary email: no

Post by StevenDrew » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:43 pm

Well done, all. I thought that was excellent. I'd quite like a live Sporza feed complete with Michel Wuyts commentating so I have a better idea of what's happening when I'm stood out in the sticks but in the absence of that it was grand. Thanks to Max's son and Damian for fetching additional refreshments.

Stuart makes some good points and it might be worth having a lemonade in the next few weeks to (a) capture these thoughts from a wider group for next year and (b) use some of them at the Supercross. Views from my angle...

Personally, I think any complaints about it being a grass crit are bollocks. If that's a bother for anyone then I suggest they don't start racing until the clocks go back. There's simply nothing we can do about the weather although I agree we could probably factor in a few more technical features. In December, they'll be longing for GP when they go to Herne Hill and their rear mech disappears into the rubble. But yes, let's visit in advance next year and organise some cutting equipment so we can be more flexible and know exactly what we need on race day.

The Parks Authority did advertise the event - see photo - although I think both they (in advance) and us (on the day) could do a bit more. I just feel that's one of the hazards of running an event in a public space. Again, personal view, but I felt there were less issues this year. Admittedly, Stuart and Paul were in the busiest spot but Max and I were kept on our toes and aside from the blue rinse-type with the "sh1t dog" most people were understanding. That said, dates in general are an issue and if we feel an October date might dampen both the public and ground under wheel then let's consider it and get it booked in with the London League, Eastern League and Rapha so we can make it all work for us. Btw - Andrew mentioned the comm also recommended we should get a few more signs, and I recall from running the Easter Classic that we do have them. Let's find 'em and use 'em.

Pre-assigned stuff (volunteer roles) is a very good idea. As an additional point, the Eastern League (region) now require an up to date risk assessment form to be completed for all races and, yesterday, I found this to be helpful in working out where to send marshals. I'll do this for RSX too as it focussed the mind a bit. We should do that for all events.

Bill - surely he can work out the top 5 or 6 in each race within 15mins for the presentation? We really should be feeding that back via the league.

The refreshments idea was very good. We had planned to buy a "picnic" for RSX but I'll also add an individual to be responsible for distribution too.

One other thing (although I might have more)... we need a better first aid box for EVERY event we do. In fact, should we have St John's Ambulance at a venue like GP? We got away with it today but I feel we could've placed a huge responsibility on Damian which, for a few quid, could be avoided. If we can't afford SJA then we need more than a few plasters.

Overall, well done (and thanks) everyone and thanks VERY much to Andrew for co-ordinating the whole thing as well as ferrying the kit to/from Hog Hill for which he deserves a crate of Westvleteren 12. Top job.
photo-5.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

andrewnewman
Mobile phone: 07890217215

Post by andrewnewman » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:06 pm

I actually agree with the "grass crit" criticism. It isn't an overly technical course, and having run it with very few changes over the years, we could be more creative with our use of the space next time. Lea Valley Parks are actually happy to mow wherever we want, for future reference. They asked me for a map of what we wanted, but at the time I didn't have the availability to go over and work out something more interesting, so I just used a previous year's layout. For example, if we used the steeper bits of hill on the back, in conjunction with some hurdles, we could force a run-up.

On marshalling I opted for more flexibility because our numbers weren't huge, but point taken. And Lea Valley did actually publicize the event. I saw signs in the park, myself. We (and the parks people) have pretty much reconciled ourselves to the fact that there will be an unhappy few each year, but that it won't spoil the event.

Neil
Mobile phone: 07958 570752

Post by Neil » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:38 pm

surely he can work out the top 5 or 6 in each race within 15mins for the presentation? We really should be feeding that back via the league.
Already done via the chief comm. but the club could also raise its concerns.

RichardCorrigall
Mobile phone: 07958417242

Post by RichardCorrigall » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:08 pm

Astrid Wingler wrote:Richard - I hope you got home OK and didn't suffer anything more serious than a puncture! We waited for you for a while, but then all had to get home.
It was a puncture. Managed to screw it up though. Checked the tyre carefully but couldn't feel anything. First tube went down but I thought that was because I'd pinched it when levering. Unfortunately my second inner tube went as well - so ended up having to call home for a lift. Got home eventually after a very long wait outside Ikea! A bit daft really. I should have ridden my Mtb. I'd ridden along the canal quite a lot a few years back - but I'd forgotten that parts of the canal path are quite rough. Oh well, learnt the hard way!

Chris Clague

Post by Chris Clague » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:18 am

Not sure what happened to the ditch this year - it was about the only technical bit and it wasn't really used this time around - I suspect because Bruce and co were working their magic with the kids course so there wasn't time.

That timing system is nuts. 2 pc's a generator, a large gantry that anyone tall raising their arms in a victory salute would likely take down. One guy typing in names throughout the event (which I presume is the primary reason why the results weren't available). Plus a caller, someone to write down the numbers as backup and Bill tapping numbers into a keypad as they cross the line. Plus a gazebo large enough to run a race under. For the seniors race Bill as rather animated as they started before he was ready and there was some discussion with the assistant comm about actually stopping the race on the first lap and starting again! Plus the system can't cope with people riding under the gantry when warming up so we had to direct them around. I even had to admonish Max's wife (who's name escapes me, sorry!) for walking under the gantry - maybe she was given the win for that? I'm sure when it works it gives super accurate timings, but does anyone really care about time? As long as the positions are correct. The rather more primitive system used in the Eastern league seems a breeze by comparison.

LeeHearnden

Post by LeeHearnden » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:44 am

Regarding timing. I would highly recommend www.iekchiptiming.com. My friend Mike basically created it from scratch for the Invicta Athletics Club and over the years I've only see their portfolio grow. I've even helped out with races. It's really accurate with the timing mats and a print out of results within 5 minutes.

If you think they could be of help to any of the leagues, drop them a line.
"You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're having a good day" ~ Daniel Behrman

LeeHearnden

Post by LeeHearnden » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:46 am

PS: I was confident that my puncture I had yesterday morning was caused by the tow path. However, 5 mins from my flat this morning, a nasty little sharp stone sunk it's teeth into my tread. It's just luck!
"You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're having a good day" ~ Daniel Behrman

Astrid Wingler

Post by Astrid Wingler » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:29 am

RichardCorrigall wrote: It was a puncture. Managed to screw it up though. Checked the tyre carefully but couldn't feel anything. First tube went down but I thought that was because I'd pinched it when levering. Unfortunately my second inner tube went as well - so ended up having to call home for a lift. Got home eventually after a very long wait outside Ikea! A bit daft really. I should have ridden my Mtb. I'd ridden along the canal quite a lot a few years back - but I'd forgotten that parts of the canal path are quite rough. Oh well, learnt the hard way!
Sorry, I should have turned back. Not sure though if my fat inner tubes for the CX tyres would have fitted into your road tyres.

Astrid Wingler

Post by Astrid Wingler » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:32 am

Stuart wrote: There was some great racing out there, especially the womens race I thought, with the top 3 places swapping constantly.
We should definitely try to sign up Max's wife, Caroline. Otherwise, she may end up riding for an inferior club, such as VCL.

MaxReuter
CX Secretary

Post by MaxReuter » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:09 pm

Astrid Wingler wrote:We should definitely try to sign up Max's wife, Caroline. Otherwise, she may end up riding for an inferior club, such as VCL.
She's comparing offers...

The good news (for me) is that as of yesterday night we won't have to share the good bike anymore, we jumped on an ex-CycleLab team bike on ebay that I had been tracking for a few days. Phew, I'll have a bike again!

Stuart

Post by Stuart » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:15 pm

Congratulations Caroline. That was an epic battle. What happened to the youngster who had quite a lead in the early stages? Did she crash or just run out of steam?

Astrid Wingler

Post by Astrid Wingler » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:19 pm

Abi van Twisk rolled a tub. She had a good lead until then, but it took her a long time to catch up with the other two.

Stuart

Post by Stuart » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:52 pm

Didnt realise that was Abi. I remember her as a tiny but very determined young girl at Herne Hill Youth. Sophia Joy seemed to be struggling a bit yesterday, surprisingly.

Returning to my earlier points, I agree with the points made. I think we failed to deliver quite the interesting course we have done in the past and this was partly due to the weather making the course too easy, partly focussing on the U12s course ( :roll: ) and also the fact that many of the chief protagonists organised a race the previous day too (not me, thankfully). A combination of, maybe, an October date and some more forward planning and creative thinking should help next year. Would be interesting to hear what Bruce thought of the course.

Again, I should emphasise these are minor points for improvement. We put on a great days racing yesterday for which the club has every right to be very proud.