Canti brake block recommendations

A place to discuss all things CX
Chris Clague
summary email: no

Canti brake block recommendations

Post by Chris Clague » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:57 pm

What's the brake block of choice here for canti brakes? Current ones judder (which I can tune out a bit) but mainly they're just not very good at stopping - they're just the tektro pads that came with the brakes.

Ta

Astrid Wingler
summary email: yes

Re: Canti brake block recommendations

Post by Astrid Wingler » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:40 pm

Did you really use the C word on this forum? :shock:

Not sure about what blocks are compatible with the Tektro brakes. In my case the problem of judder was solved by switching to Avid Shorty Ultimate brakes. Quite a few of the pros seem to be using them - they are rather expensive though.

Stuart

Post by Stuart » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:38 pm

they're just not very good at stopping
They're not disc brakes you know :roll:

Chris Clague

Post by Chris Clague » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:12 pm

Obvs not for me. The boy has to have some hardships to learn but he's got a youth tour race coming up and I'd hate him to have an accident just cos he can't stop properly. Plus he's riding the Alps in the summer.

John Jardine

Post by John Jardine » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:27 pm

No experience with cantis, but have always used swisstop viking pros with the mini v's. The older versions of the viking pros were excellent with no judder. The newer versions give a slight judder on the front, but barely noticeable. Used them on the joux plane descent, they were are little too good/sharp.

Stuart

Post by Stuart » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:59 pm

I always get judder with cantis unless they are bolted to the head tube/fork bridge. This isn't possible on my Ridley race bikes, but usually disappears when riding off road. Either that, or you have other things to think about anyway.

I can see this doesn't really help. First thing I'd try is bolting to the fork bridge.

Chris Clague

Post by Chris Clague » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:03 pm

Ok, have ordered swisstops - I had another look and standard shimano fit pads should be ok. On Bruce's recommendation I bought a cable hanger to bolt to the fork but the one I got doesn't fit with the existing bolt as it's expecting a recessed fitting (can't think how to describe it better) so now I need to find a new bolt too.

MaxReuter
CX Secretary

Post by MaxReuter » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:39 pm

The problem is the bending fork tightening the cable, so the hanger should improve things, as should changing to V-brakes. I also had the impression that proper adjustment of the angle between the block and the rim can help. And of course swapping to carbon rims – no braking, no judder.

LeonardDelicaet

Post by LeonardDelicaet » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:22 pm

Defo get some longer pads - road pads are 50-55mm long. Get some 72mm pads like these: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/clar ... -prod55826

These are threaded mount, they also do post mount - I don't know what brakes you have.
How slow comes the hour, its passing speed how great