London and SE League 2016/17

A place to discuss all things CX
StevenDrew
Mobile phone: 07809296084
summary email: no

Re: London and SE League 2016/17

Post by StevenDrew » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:31 am

CarolineReuter wrote:A shame! We need more LP in the London & SE league!
Chris and I are coming to Herne Hill in a few weeks to help with commissaring. Does that count?!

Neil
Mobile phone: 07958 570752
summary email: yes

Post by Neil » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:56 pm

Chris and I are coming to Herne Hill in a few weeks to help with commissaring. Does that count?!
And me!

Benjamin Knowles
Mobile phone: 07815116025

Post by Benjamin Knowles » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:31 pm

Always forget how godamn hard Cross is! Raced the senior's race at Bethlehem Hospital - which is a great course with a good mix of terrain. Lot less muddy than last time I did it! Started from the back but took off pretty hard and got into a group that was moving pretty well, but then I overcooked myself and blew up after about 20 minutes and started to slide backwards. Overtook a few more people who'd blown up worse than I, but was relieved when the first two riders came past me, saving me an extra lap.

On the last half lap or so I got massively over-excited trying to close down the next rider on the same lap as me, overcooked it on the descent into the 180 turn which leads straight into a short punchy climb and crashed, losing my chain and any chance of catching that rider.

Thanks for the support. Those I definitely heard: Petra, Aoife, Chris C (who was there commisairing) and thought I saw Jane D, though I heard a few voices I didn't immediately recognise (sorry, wasn't at my most clear thinking!). Going away to practise my bunny hops so I can keep the crowd happy next time there's cross actually in London....

CarolineReuter
CX Secretary

Post by CarolineReuter » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:54 pm

Well done Ben! Next races close by are Cyclopark and Frylands in Croydon. Guaranteed mud in the latter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Clague

Post by Chris Clague » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:20 pm

And Leyton in January...

CarolineReuter
CX Secretary

Post by CarolineReuter » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:38 am

Of course! but it's north of the river, so immediately more complicated! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Benjamin Knowles

Post by Benjamin Knowles » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:08 am

Thinking of training it out to Ardingly on Sunday as the train is fairly cheap....any insight on the course? Only have one bike so if it's a muddy slog may give it a miss....

Chris Clague

Post by Chris Clague » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:04 pm

A bit like this:
IMG_5352.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MaxReuter
CX Secretary

Post by MaxReuter » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:20 pm

Last year it was quite muddy in the bottom left corner of the map. But not sticky mud, so one bike was fine.

Benjamin Knowles

Post by Benjamin Knowles » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:40 pm

MaxReuter wrote:Last year it was quite muddy in the bottom left corner of the map. But not sticky mud, so one bike was fine.
Wicked. See you there!

StevenDrew
Mobile phone: 07809296084

Post by StevenDrew » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:14 pm

Really enjoyed racing at Leyton yesterday. Having used Bruce’s power drill to get some of the course stakes into the ground before the sun was up, I was worried my tractor-like Limus mud tyres would prove a hindrance rather than help. Fortunately, the beautiful sunny weather meant most of the course had thawed by the time the V40 race went off just before Noon and it got quite slippery. Obviously not being a London League regular meant I wasn’t going to be gridded so I was pretty relaxed about how things might unfold. It was, however, very funny watching Russ Jones get agitated about it all. In fairness he did finish 7th at Deal last week so maybe being gridded about 40th did seem harsh.

So I managed to slot in next to him on about row 6. Fortunately the start wasn’t too chaotic and we got away okay so with liberal use of a few elbows to keep upright I was able to manoeuvre through the pack. The hurdles and icy steps were a bit dicey but once we got into that bumpy top field I started to make some places with Max and Russ up ahead providing a good target. I think I caught up with Max on lap 2 or 3 but he seemed to get a second wind and I just couldn’t get past him and we were very evenly matched. At one point with about two to go, I thought I’d lost him as a lapped rider got slightly in the way on one of the banks and I had to dab a foot which slowed me down. Max then accelerated and we got past another rider (no idea who) and set about chasing down Russ and a chap from GS Invicta up ahead. After we hit the bell, I edged past Max at the hurdles and again used the green jersey of Mr Jones as a target. I didn’t quite get to him but did nail the GS Invicta rider to bag, what I learnt this morning, 10th about 3 secs down on Russ. One more lap and I reckon I’d have had him ;-)

If memory serves, that was my first London League race since January 2013. And in some respects I might have to hold my hands up and say that’s probably my loss. I know it’s a bit different because there were loads of Phoenix there yesterday but the atmosphere was really great throughout the day. Maybe the difference, aside from the sheer number of Crawley riders, is the size of the Seniors field? Neither the Central League nor Eastern manages 80 riders in that category so it seems like there are more people around for longer. Either way, it was quite refreshing compared to say the Central League which can be a bit dull sometimes.

As stated elsewhere, well done and thanks to everyone who turned out to help and thus meant we had enough bodies to allow LP-ers to race. I think that's it for me this season as I need to do a few family related things over the coming weekends but that was a great way to sign off for the year. Nice one.