Gorrick Autumn Classic 2

MTB races, enduros and other organised events
Steve Hanks
Mobile phone: 07421002430
summary email: yes

Gorrick Autumn Classic 2

Post by Steve Hanks » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:11 am

Well, I'm feeling strong in winter training at the moment so decided to enter a race and see how I'm getting along.

It turned out to be 3 degrees in Crowthorne, Hant's when I rolled in, luckly I'd thought to bring winter gloves. A practise lap revealed some short sharp double track climbs, loads of damp rooty single track and some ~"corkscrew" descents. I decide on the practise lap as I hadn't raced for two months I wouldn't worry about places, but I'd ride according to the strengths & weakness indicators in my training, and treat it as an race intensity session.

As I rolled up to the start, I noticed the field was well populated with good riders - Russ Jones, Clem Polizzi etc. I stuck my nose on the front, and waited for...the whistle. I got a really good sprint onto the double track with the first 15% 100m climb thinning the field quickly, then along a downhill where a second double track climb provided another sprint opportunity to take more places before entering the singletrack. I went in front of Russ, and behind Clem in about 4th, so a good start, but I knew I was out of position. I held on to the first lap completing it in 8th, then decided to back off and conserve energy and ride the race mentally rather than physically. This resulted in a 3 lap ding-dong with Keith Wyer, who is usually about 5 places in front of me. Mine & Keiths lap times tell a story:

Me - 00:27:27 00:28:17 00:28:10

Keith - 00:27:28 00:28:18 00:28:10

I rode my strategy smartly but Keith was unable to take me, and unwittingly in the post race conversation & handshake he told me exactly where I was out gunning him, and losing to him so that was valuable info for next time. Although I was suffering from breathing issues with the cold and with Keith on my wheel couldn't pause for my TUE :D (Salbutomal), the last half lap was a listening guessing game as the where he'd try to come past. There is no passing at the last 200m as it was narrow tight single track so, sensing I was gapping him on the climbs, I held him off then sprinted of the bottom of the last double track climb and pulled 3m away from him, into the narrow finish with wide elbows.

A really enoyable race, good competition and riding with my head for once proved fruitful - 15th Vet against some strong Surrey/SE A listers in my first event for 2 months, with absolutely no tiredness or leg pain after so there was much more to give.

Overall a good day on the bike!

Steve Hanks

Re: Gorrick Autumn Classic 2

Post by Steve Hanks » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:21 am

P.S. and if Mssrs Drew, McQueen & Clague are reading this - you tipped off off Russ didn't you? Why else would he also try to recruit me to CX.... :wink:

Chris Clague
summary email: no

Post by Chris Clague » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:38 am

You're just in denial. The sooner you realise this the easier it will be for all of us.

StevenDrew
Mobile phone: 07809296084

Post by StevenDrew » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:54 am

Steve Hanks wrote:P.S. and if Mssrs Drew, McQueen & Clague are reading this - you tipped off off Russ didn't you? Why else would he also try to recruit me to CX.... :wink:
Nope. Not me.

Well done on the race though. Sounds good.

Steve Hanks

Post by Steve Hanks » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:18 pm

Lol @ Chris... I'm still up for a crack, let me know when there's one nearby.

Thanks Steven. I seem to have discovered some form out of season lets hope it carries through, as I'll be 100% XCO rather than XCM next year. They say three seasons is what it takes of course. Oddly I was nervous to be in the race scene again even after a short break, but it was good flying the LP flag & having a chat with people who recognise the jersey/me on the regular circuit now.

Its was also good being in front of Russ, even if it was only for 10 minutes :D

JackCurzon
MTB Secretary
Mobile phone: 07811409238

Post by JackCurzon » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:57 am

Good result Stan! Sounds like training is going well. Was that a XCO race or one of those 'endure' 2 hr hobbies?

PS ignore the CX boys. We ride where they run. Why do a sport where your equipment is totally unsuited to the event? Let them come to us. :lol:
"Great minds think alike, idiots seldom differ"
Mobs: 07811 409238

Chris Clague

Post by Chris Clague » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:11 am

Pfft - summer riders.

Would like to do more MTB when the season's over.

Steve Hanks

Post by Steve Hanks » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:40 am

Good result Stan! Sounds like training is going well. Was that a XCO race or one of those 'endure' 2 hr hobbies?
Thanks - a pity it didn't come earlier in the year. Its was XCO but non-BC hence 90 mins. Brass Monkeys is 2 or 4 hours and marked as Endurance, but the same pace - flat out.

Chris - Mud Sweat and Gears round 1 is Feb this year - get in there and carry the form through to Beastway :)

Chris Clague

Post by Chris Clague » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:47 am

Post season. Should be fine.